This is an interesting time to announce this, but I am part of a protest compilation that is being released in November. I rarely feel politically motivated, partially out of ignorance and fear, admittedly some laziness, and mostly because I feel disconnected. One thing that drives me completely though, is food and how we are killing ourselves and the planet, so that is what I wrote about. However, in light of recent events, I’m finding the desire to reflect on and write about the state of the world to be bubbling closer to the surface. In the interim, please check out this great collection.
1. Pittsburgh based independent label A-F Records, home of punk rock band Anti-Flag, has announced a new protest compilation titled This Concerns Everyone, which will be released on November 18th.
The collection includes live and studio recordings of rebellious covers and originals from the likes of Tom Morello (The Nightwatchman, Rage Against The Machine), Tim Mcllrath (Rise Against), Chris Wollard (Hot Water Music, Chris Wollard & the Ship Thieves) and Chris #2 (Anti-Flag) among others and will be released digitally (with additional bonus tracks) and on limited edition vinyl LP that can be pre-ordered now at http://bit.ly/1ApDW3b.
2. A portion of proceeds from the record’s sales will be donated to the Right To Heal Campaign, which is a joint effort between The Iraq Veterans Against The War, Organization of Women’s Freedom In Iraq and the Federation of Workers Councils and Unions In Iraq. Learn more here: www.righttoheal.org.
3. A-F Records is inviting fans to share their own songs of protest and rebellion by submitting MP3 tracks to the label at email@example.com and via social networks by tagging the post with #ThisConcernsEveryone. The submitted tracks will be featured and promoted on A-F Records’ SoundCloud player at www.a-frecords.com/thisconcernseveryone.
Chris Farren (Fake Problems) - Establishment Blues (Rodriguez)
Erica Freas (RVIVR) - Tiny Murders
Chris Conley (Saves The Day) - A Change Is Gonna Come (Sam Cooke)
Chris#2 (Anti-Flag) - What Did You Learn In School Today (Pete Seeger)
PJ Bond - Dirty Hands
Anika Pyle (Chumped) - Ugly
Tom Morello (The Nightwatchman) - House Gone Up In Flames
The Homeless Gospel Choir - Some People
Chris Stowe - Other Peoples Guns
Chris Wollard & The Ship Thieves - Selected Scenes
Roger Harvey - What Are You Fighting For (Phil Ochs)
Shawna Potter and Brooks Harlan (War On Women) - Servilia
Tim McIlrath (Rise Against) - Civil War (Guns-n-Roses)
Justin Sane (Anti-Flag) - I Ain’t Got No Home (Woody Guthrie)
Thomas From The Burning Land (Strike Anywhere) - The Deep State (Field Recording)
Ryan Harvey - Hope Dies Last
DIGITAL ONLY (only comes with the LP)
1. Prophet Motive - Hallowawa
2. Josh Massie - Life Durring War Time (Pinhead Gunpowder)
3. Spoonboy - Last Of The Assholes (The Max Levine Ensemble)
4. Pat Thetic - Owe Us A Living (CRASS)